We all have them, right? Come on, you know you do (smile). Okay, I'm talking about those foods that trigger your gag reflex or make you wanna cuss your Mama, or whomever it is who's insisting you eat, taste or try "just a little bit." Bleech! For my Big Guy, it's beets and Brussell sprouts. For my little one, it's creamed spinach. You'd best believe, if something, anything is nasty to this kid, inevitably, he says it tastes like creamed spinach. Personally, I don't have a problem with any of the aforementioned. But just thinking about any of the following, summons a right awful taste in my mouth . . .
1) Fig Newtons (My husband loves these. But really, don't these taste like something that got rolled in kitty litter?)
2) Pottage, Cottage . . . Okay, "Potted" Meat (This is one I've long filed under mystery meat).
3) Spam (What sick and diseased animal does this come from anyway? See above).
4) Okra (This holds the honor of being the very first food that I can ever recall making me gag.)
5) Black-Eyed Peas (Okra and Peas seem to always come together to make one big, nasty-a$$ slime fest, don't they?)
6) Liverwurst (Liver is a bile secreting organ . . . need I say more?)
7) Livercheese (You know, I think I want to hurl.)
8) Liver (Okay, by now I think it's pretty much been established that anything with the word "liver" in it gets a pass from me.)
9) Cottage Cheese (I won't even put this in my lasanga. For me, the only thing more disgusting than eating it--is watching someone else do so. Bleech!
10) Grape Fruit (I say we vote this bitter, sour imposter right out of the fruit family.)
11) Watergate Salad (My mom loves to make this marshmallow, fruit and whipped cream-filled, multi-colored concoction and my hubby is generally the first to fix himself a big bowl. I, on the other hand, consider this little more than sweet and chunky cottage cheese with a bit of food coloring tossed in a sly attempt to fool the eye.)
12) Ground Turkey (I had a bad experience with this once. Rather than share any of the gross details, I'll just say it's not an experience I'd wish on my worse enemy.)
13) Egg Nog (There's not enough liquor in the world to make me want to drink this. Actually, I highly suspect this is cottage cheese that's been pureed with buttermilk, which, for the record, I can't stand either.)
Okay, your turn. Which foods consistently turn your stomach? I'm saying, let's all be grossed out together . . .