Friday, January 12, 2007

PART II . . . THE OSM NOD TO JB . . . STILL NODDING . . .

A few days ago, while waiting in the grocery store checkout line, I picked up the JET magazine with James Brown on the cover. When the cashier saw me with it, she said something along the lines of, "Ain't it a shame, all that mess that's going on with James Brown and his funeral? How come they just can't bury the man and be done with it?"

I said, "Yeah, I think they've had like, what, 3 different funerals now?"

She said, "Uh-huh, 3 funerals in 3 different places with 3 different outfits!"

When I got home, the thought occured to me--Umph, I be dog if these folks ain't got poor James Brown still out here on tour . . .

Of course, just the other day I heard they still hadn't buried the man. They've got him locked up in his home, in a temperature-controlled room. Come on now, I know I'm not the only one who smells a rat . . . Watch, six months from now J.B.'s gonna be coming out with some material, uh-huh, just like Tupac did.

All kidding aside, the following is a list of some of my favorite James Brown Songs. But check this out . . . I only own 1 JB tune and that's a 45 (remember those) that was given to me by my folks. And the song, Make It Funky, isn't even one of my favorites. Go figure.

1) Payback (1974) 2) Say It Loud (1968) 3) I Got The Feeling (1968) 4) Cold Sweat (1967) 5) Santa Claus, Go Straight To the Ghetto (1968) 6) Papa Don't Take No Mess (1974) 7) Hot Pants (1971) 8) Get Up / Sex Machine (1970) 9) It's Man's World (1966) 10) Get On the Good Foot (1972) 11) Super Bad (1970) 12) Papa's Got A Brand New Bag (1965) 13) Talking Loud and Saying Nothing (1972) 14) Licking Stick (1968)

Do you have a JB favorite that doesn't appear on the list or any other comments about the Godfather of Soul that you'd like to share?

No comments: