Thursday Thirteen #24 . . . 13 Memorable Food Moments . . .
For me, the smell, taste and even the sight of certain foods conjure memories--some good, some bad. The following are some of my most memorable food moments.
1). Hot tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on a crisp fall or winter day
2) My Dad's stove popped popcorn, which he served to me and my younger brother in those little brown lunch bags
3) My M'Deah's homemade ice-cream on the 4th of July
4) The beautiful cake the hubby surprised me with upon my winning first place in a short story contest
5) My son's first restaurant meal--pancakes at the IHOP (see picture above)
6) The sight of chitlins soaking in the sink and the overpowering stench of them simmering in a huge pot on the stove
7) My grandfather standing out in the cold and barbecuing ribs under his carport in November just so my little brother could get one of his birthday wishes (a dinner of barbecued ribs) fulfilled.
8) Munching on candied apples, corn dogs and cotton candy at the Mid-South Fair
9) Gagging on okra at the dinner table when I was 3 or 4
10) The hamburgers my Aunt Doris would fry for us some Saturday evenings
11) Cooking and serving my grandmother one of her favorite meals--macaroni and cheese and fried chicken
12) My grandmother's sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving Day
13) The first time I ever prepared a meal of salad, baked potato, grilled steak and iced tea for the man I later married
Well, what about you? Do you have one or two memorable food moments you'd like to share?