Thursday Thirteen #32 . . . 13 Christmas / Holiday Traditions (Past & Present)
1) Shortly after Thanksgiving, I start listening to Christmas music and I don't typically stop until sometime in January. Yeah, not everybody in the fam is down with that, but what can I say? Some of my favorite Christmas cds include--Grover Washington's Breath of Heaven, Boney James' Funky Christmas, the Jackson 5 Christmas Album, Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration (by various artists) and The Best of Vanessa Williams: The Christmas Collection.
2) Putting something in the bell ringers' kettles. I feel guilty when I don't.
3) Participating in Advent ceremonies, festivities and observations.
4) Enlisting my son's help in putting up the Christmas tree.
5) Pulling out and plugging up the Black Santa who dances to Jingle Bell Rock.
6) Mailing Christmas cards.
7) Watching Christmas movies. Charlie Brown Christmas, "Polar Express" and Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation" are some of my favorites.
8) Listening to Grover Washington's "Breath of Heaven" at night, by candlelight. One year, while living in Cleveland, the hubby and I lit the candles, opened the curtains and watched it snow while listening to the music.
12) Driving around the city after nightfall on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and taking in all of the beautiful (and/or tacky) Christmas displays and lights.
13) Getting my grub on at my cousin Gertrude's house on Christmas Day.
Well, do we have any traditions in common? Feel free to mention a couple of your own Christmas / Holiday traditions.