My short story “When Morning Come” appears in the Summer 2026 issue of The Chestnut Review. It’s about two little girls who seek refuge in the fantastical world of Greek mythology when their real lives become too difficult to bear. You can either read the story or listen to a reading of it.
When asked if I’d like to record myself reading the story, I almost said, “No thanks.” First of all, I’m not a fan of listening to my own voice. Second of all, being a woman of a certain age, I don’t sound anything like the story’s preteen protagonist. But since I wasn’t sure if anyone on the publication’s staff could pull off telling Lashaun’s story in a halfway convincing manner, I figured what the heck. If anybody’s gonna take a hit, it might as well be me. 🙃
When my editor asked about my intention, as far as “When Morning Come” is concerned, the following was my response: I hope my story inspires readers to pay more attention to the young people in their lives, young girls in particular, and to be more proactive, decisive and sincere when it comes to protecting them from harm. We could all stand to do a better job when it comes to recognizing and addressing a child’s plea for help.
Anyway, if you enjoy the story, let me know and feel free to share the link.

No comments:
Post a Comment