Monday, September 11, 2006

INTRO . . .

At the end of the day, I'm just a sister who writes and who wants to be read. I am also proud to announce the pending publication of my very first novel--

AFTER THE DANCE

(stay tuned for details)

WHAT IS "OLD SCHOOL?"

I was born in the 60's. Need I say more?

WHAT IS LORI'S OLD SCHOOL MIX?

I intend for the Old School Mix to be a hodge-podge of commentary, information, trivia, interviews, links and reviews. The OS Mix will cover a wide array of topics--music, literature, history, art, pop culture and social issues to name a few. Every now and then the Mix will rock hard and serious, but on most days it will swing toward the light-hearted and fun. If at any time you feel like adding your voice to the Mix, please, don't hesitate. Your comments, feedback, opinions and suggests are always welcome.

ABOUT MY WORK
My work is heavily influenced by music. I grew up listening to my mother's Aretha Franklin and Al Green, my father's Miles and Coltrane as well as the James Brown, Johnny Taylor, B.B. King and Bobby Blue Bland that typically greeted my ears in the dark North Memphis cafes, grills and smoke-filled lounges that kept one of my grandmothers gainfully employed.
Perhaps that is why, for me, beneath the words there is always music--whether a throb, a hum, a quiet melody or a rhythmic beat. In a sense, my approach to writing is all about chasing the music. I know if I'm able to string together the "right" combination of words, I'll find it. I know once I've found it, I can make the piece sing.

No comments: