Monday, September 18, 2006

SUNDAY BEST . . . Something Within.com. for thinking women of faith

is the title of Dr. Renita Weems's e-journal. For those of you who don't know, Dr. Weems is a writer, a speaker, a scholar and an elder in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.

I've had the pleasure of reading several of Dr. Weem's books Listening for God: A Minister's Journey Through Silence and Doubt (2000) I Asked For Intimacy (1993) and Just A Sister Away (1987).

The book that initially stirred my interest in her work, Just A Sister Away, is one I stumbled upon while in the library, doing research on some totally unrelated topic. Prior to reading the book, I'd pretty much written off a couple of the women in my family. As far as I was concerned, these particular women were just some mean ole heifers and I wanted little to do with them. But after reading Just A Sister Away, my whole perspective changed and I started viewing those same women in a more compassionate light. I started seeing them as women who had been hurt and scarred and whose negativity towards me reflected their own inner pain. Rather than wish they'd change, I began to change my own behavior and how I chose to interact with them. The change (the one I made) not only improved my relationships with these women, but made me a better person as well.

I strongly encourage you to check out Renita Weem's site for yourself. http://www.somethingwithin.com/

Even if you're not a woman of faith, I'm fairly certain you'll find some bit of wisdom or insight that resonates within you. Below you'll find a link to an achieved piece by Dr. Weem's entitled "Trust Your Passion."

http://www.somethingwithin.com/archive-trustyourpassion.htm

In the piece Dr. Weem's mentions, among other things, a saying, "religion is not to be believed, it is to be danced." Her corresponding statement to which is, "Who wants to serve a God that doesn't make you want to dance from time to time?" Frankly, I couldn't agree more (smile).

I'd like to thank AD for sharing the link to Renita Weem's work with me. If you know of any similarly inspirational and/or encouraging websites feel free to email me the links. I'll try to share as many as I can in the SUNDAY BEST portion of the OS mix.

So, shall we, as my friend MR recently put it, "Let the dancing begin?" Stay tuned in the coming days for more dancing in the form of an excerpt from my short story "New Growth."

2 comments:

Shellshock said...

Great site! I have read each entry with the anticipation that you style of writing prompts and I have not been disappointed.
Thanks for the info on Dr. Weem's. Checked out her site and I'm going to purchase Just A Sister Away because I, too, have some truly incorrigable women in my family and maybe this will help me see them in a different light as well.
Again, thanks for a great site! Congratulations on all your endeavors and I'll keep reading!

Lori said...

shellshock,
Glad you like the site and thanks for stopping by. Yes, JUST A SISTER AWAY, also makes a great gift. Not that any of the incorrigable women in your family or mine would actually read it . . . but it's a thought (smile). Lori D.