Sunday, May 03, 2020

ANOTHER NICE SURPRISE . . . PUBLICATION WISE




My essay, "The Trees of Mississippi: A Strange and Bitter Crop" appears in the latest issue of Arkana: A literary journal of mysteries and marginalized voices (Issue #8 / April 28, 2020).  If that alone wasn't cause for celebration, the essay was also selected as the winner of the Arkana Editor's Choice Award in Creative Nonfiction.  Talk about a nice surprise!



In addition to reading the essay, you have have the option of listening to me read it.  Reading my nonfiction isn't my strong suit, but I think I deserve a few points for effort.  Besides, how will I ever get better if I'm not willing to take the risk of putting myself out there and being, well, less than great? LOL  😄



The pics feature here are of some of the trees I saw on my last visit to Water Valley, Mississippi.  All, but one of the photos, captures trees I spotted on land owned by my family--The Hawkins.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was looking for some data on my grandparents who lived in Water Valley and came across your article on my mom's cousin TC Reese. He visited our family home many times in STL, MO and I do have a few photos with his studio stamp on the back. While the phone number is the same the address was 301 S. Third, Memphis, TN. Hello distant cousin, my name is Lisa!

lori's old school mix said...

Wow Lisa! I'm just now seeing your comment! I'd love to chat with you about TC. Any chance you are on Facebook? If so, feel free to send me a friend request. It would probably be easier for us to exchange info and communicate there. You can find a link to my FB page in the sidebar on the left of this page. I have several other Facebook friends who have ties to TC Reese and Water Valley, MS. Hope to hear from you again soon. :-)

Unknown said...

GM, Since I am not on Facebook, my brother Otis Walker will be contacting you. We are related to TC on the Hall side of the family. Otis is also looking for any old photos TC may have taken. What a pleasure to have run across your information and I look forward to a new and continuing friendship.

lori's old school mix said...

Sounds good, Lisa! I will be on the look out for your brother. (Oh and that sidebar I mentioned is on the RIGHT side of this page under the heading--Places To Read Lori's Work). I will give your brother an email address where you can contact me outside of this blog, if you'd like. Take Care!